Prescribed fire is used in New Hampshire to meet a range of management objectives relating to public safety, forest-based recreation, wildlife management, silviculture, agriculture, invasives species management, and sustaining natural communities. In order to more safely, efficiently, and effectively use this management tool, several New Hampshire organizations and agencies met to discuss opportunities to address shared needs and goals. After initial meetings which included a full range of stakeholders, the New Hampshire Prescribed Fire Council was formed. The Council is comprised of four working groups. Here are the by-laws.
Mission The Mission of the New Hampshire Prescribed Fire Council is to promote the safe use of prescribed fire on the New Hampshire landscape by:
- Promoting public understanding of the benefits of prescribed fire. An overview of prescribed fire and its benefits are provided to help the general public better understand how prescribed fire can be used in New Hampshire to meet specific management objectives.
- Promoting the development and utilization of prescribed fire practices to achieve desired environmental and ecological resource management goals. Working groups are the primary means of promoting the development and utilization of precribed fire practices to achieve management goals.
- Anticipating prescribed fire issues and concerns and suggesting courses of action. The New Hampshire Prescribed Fire Council has regular meetings where they can provide public feedback from burns, raise fire issues and concerns, as well as options to address any potential concerns.
- Providing a framework for communication and cooperation related to prescribed fire objectives, techniques and issues. Regular New Hampshire Prescribed Fire Council and working group meetings offer a forum for technical information and training opportunities to be disseminated.
- Disseminating technical information and training on prescribed fire and its application. The New Hampshire Prescribed Fire Council and working group meetings offer a forum for technical information and training opportunities to be disseminated.
- Promoting the long term viability of prescribed fire as a management tool in New Hampshire. Through continued cooperation and collaboration the New Hampshire Prescribed Fire Council will help promote the viability of prescribed fire as a management tool in New Hampshire.
To help us meet this mission, view additional resources