Planning and Zoning
There are three modules in Planning and Zoning Basics.
Planning and Zoning provides an overview of basic planning and zoning principles including the organization of the Planning Board and the Zoning Board of Adjustment.
Planning Board Basics will describe the role of the Planning Board, rules of procedure, basic terms, how to run a meeting, right to know law and the role of the master plan, capital improvements plan, subdivision regulation, site plan review and zoning ordinance.
Zoning Board of Adjustment Basics outlines the process of the ZBA and definition of terms including special exception, variance and equitable waiver.
New Hampshire Association of Regional Planning Commissions:
- NHARPC Homepage
- Proposed 2010-2011 NHARPC Legislative Policies - These policies and priorities guide NHARPC in evaluating legislation.
Office of Energy and Planning:
- The Planning Board in New Hampshire – A Handbook for Local Officials - This detailed handbook explains everything from establishing a planning board, functions, application, submission, and review procedures, to the Master Plan and the capital improvement program.
- The Zoning Board of Adjustment in New Hampshire – A Handbook for Local Officials
This handbook is designed to serve as an introduction to the organization, powers, duties and procedures of boards of adjustment in New Hampshire. It is a resource to acquaint board members and other interested persons with the basic responsibilities of the board of adjustment and to suggest procedures by which the work of the board can be carried out in a fair and effective manner.
- NH Municipal Land Use Regulation Process - A flow chart outlining the relationship among the various components of land use regulation in New Hampshire.
- OEP A-Z Subject List- A multitude of topics and subjects related to planning and energy.
- Session Materials from Past OEP Conferences - Materials from spring and fall OEP Planning and Zoning conferences going back to 2003.
- OEP Technical Bulletins - Technical bulletins from OEP about pertinent planning topics.
- OEP Planning Programs - Programs at OEP to assist planners in New Hampshire.
- OEP Municipal and Regional Planning Assistance - Your source for planning assistance from the Office of Energy and Planning.
- Regional Planning Commissions - Links to the 9 regional planning commissions in the state.
Other Planning and Zoning Information:
- How a Zoning Ordinance is Changed - This NHLGC Q&A answers questions regarding the zoning ordinance amendment process.
- Title LXIV - Planning and Zoning - This is the major grouping of statutes related to land use planning and zoning in New Hampshire.
- New Hampshire Planners Association
- Northern New England Chapter of the American Planning Association
- NH Town and City - The monthly publication of the NH Local Government Center.