Extension Associate Professor/Specialist, Wildlife
Matt is originally from Hancock, NH and he currently lives in Gilford. Matt is a professional wildlife biologist and NH Licensed forester and he works throughout NH in close partnership with the NH Fish and Game Department to assist private landowners and communities improve habitat for wildlife. His specialties include improving forested wildlife habitat through commercial timber harvesting, field management to benefit vertebrate and invertebrate wildlife, shrubland and young forest habitat management, wildlife food plot design and maintenance, wetlands wildlife ecology and management, and methods for improving hunting opportunities on private land. Matt and his students are currently studying the factors that influence habitat selection and dispersal of shrubland-dependent songbirds and how non-native shrubs influence habitat quality for declining songbird species.
- Effects of alien shrubs on caterpillar abundance and breeding success of common yellowthroats
- Habitat occupancy of declining shrubland-dependent songbirds in a managed landscape in southeastern New Hampshire
- Within and between-season site fidelity of prairie warblers and field sparrows
- Juvenile dispersal patterns of prairie warblers and field sparrows in a landscape managed for New England Cottontails
- The habitat value of powerline rights-of-way for shrubland-dependent and mature forest birds
- M.S. Wildlife Ecology from University of New Hampshire
- B.S. Wildlife Management from University of New Hampshire
- A.A.S.Forest Technology from University of New Hampshire Thompson School
- Matt is currently enrolled in the UNH NRESS PhD Program
Program Specialty Areas
- Assist private landowners and municipalities in managing their land for timber, wildlife habitat, water resources, recreation and aesthetics.
- Assist professional foresters and wildlife biologists in assessing, creating and maintaining wildlife habitats.
- Develop and implement educational programs for natural resource professionals including Licensed Foresters, Logging Contractors and Wildlife Biologist.
- Promote and participate in the NH Tree Farm Program, NH Coverts Project, and NH Tree Stewards Program.
- Assist students in gaining work experience in the natural resources field.
131 Main Street
Durham, NH 03824-2500 View Map