Do You Currently Have the School Breakfast Program?
The School Breakfast Program started as a two-year pilot program under the Child Nutrition Act of 1966 and was made permanent in October 1975. It is a federally assisted meal program operating in schools and institutions. It provides nutritionally balanced, low-cost or free breakfasts to children each school day. The program was established to ensure that all children have access to a healthy breakfast at school to promote learning readiness and healthy eating behaviors. For more details click here.
School Breakfast Programs and Successes - eXtension
This content series examines the importance of school breakfast and highlights some successful breakfast programs and initiatives that nourish students and help build healthy habits. For more information visit school-breakfast-programs-and-successes
Breakfast truly is the most important meal of the day. Making simple changes to your school breakfast program - such as bringing it out of the traditional cafeteria setting- can dramatically increase participation and improve student nutrition. This website provides helpful links; information on the importance of school breakfast; and resources to help advocate, expand and promote school breakfast. For more information visit newenglanddairycouncil.org/schools/breakfast/
USDA Team Nutrition Materials
Team Nutrition, an initiative of the United States Department of Agriculture’s Food and Nutrition Service, supports national efforts to promote lifelong healthy food choices and physical activity by improving the nutrition practices of the Child Nutrition Programs. Resources for promoting breakfast include:
- MyPlate Guide to School Breakfast - This infographic highlights healthy foods that are part of a balanced school breakfast. Learn about why eating breakfast is important for learning, and how parents can help their child eat a healthy breakfast at school. This can be downloaded or ordered.
- Be Your Best with Breakfast – this hand-out is perfect to share with parents and can be downloaded at fns.usda.gov/tn/myplate-guide-school-breakfast or ordered by visiting here. https://pueblo.gpo.gov/TN/TNPubs.php
- Launch Your Day with Breakfast- this poster promoting breakfast is designed to use in schools. Can be ordered by visiting here. https://pueblo.gpo.gov/TN/TNPubs.php
- Bulletin Boards, Posters and Clipart visit https://healthymeals.fns.usda.gov/resource-library/bulletin-board-resources/breakfast-bulletin-board-resources for these great resources
- Celebrate School Breakfast Week (March 6-10th, 2017) using resources found here. https://schoolnutrition.org/Meetings/Events/NSBW/2017/