Welcome to the Master Gardener student page.
- OSU Botany Module for the Master Gardener Class Oregon State University has an online botany module we would like you to complete before class.
Follow these instructions to register and log in to the botany module.
- Go to the OSU Botany Link
- Click on Register Now and follow the directions to register for the basic botany class
- You will receive two messages from OSU: one email verifying your enrollment and one with a user name directions for logging into the course. Save this email as it gives you instructions you may need later. Once you receive this email, follow the directions to start the course
This course has three main objectives. Students will:
- Be able to identify plants and their non-plant relatives as a fungus, lichen, algae, moss, fern, conifer or seed plant.
- Gain an appreciation for the diversity of plants and their non-plant relatives, as well as for their roles in an ecosystem.
- Be able to identify the basic parts of a plant, and to describe their function and role in healthy plant growth and development.
Upon completing this course, students should be able to:
- Identify different leaf types and different root systems,
- Distinguish monocots from dicots.
- Understand the importance of photosynthesis, respiration and transpiration to plant growth and vigor.