Worker Protection Standard (WPS)
Train the Trainer – Respirator Fit Testing Training Being held in New Hampshire!
Recertification credits: 4 credits for Private and Commerical
November 6, 2017
The Nature Conservancy Concord, NH
NOTE** From the Division of Pesticide Control
Three important points:
- In order to train workers, New Hampshire requires the trainer to satisfactorily complete its Worker Protection Exam.
- If an individual has completed the exam and maintains a current pesticide license, that individual is currently qualified to train workers.
- EPA has reviewed (October 2016) New Hampshires' Worker Protection Standard equivalency request and determined that New Hampshire requirements (such as, an exam requirement) are more stringent than federal WPS regulations.
News and Updates
Since January 2, 2017, new safety requirements for pesticide use have been in effect for employers and employees working in the production of agricultural commodities.
Goal of these Changes
These changes aim to:
- Reduce occupational pesticide exposure and incidents of related illness among agricultural workers and pesticide handlers covered by the standard, and
- Protect bystanders and others from exposure to agricultural pesticide use.
Information and Forms for New Hampshire Growers
EPA Information :
NH Forms :
The links below provide resources and information to individuals responsible for Worker Protection Standard (WPS) compliance:
- Worker Protection Standard, How to Comply With the 2015 Revised Worker Protection Standard for Agricultural Pesticides - What Owners and Employees Need to Know (EPA 735-B-16-001, Sept. 2016)
- Division of Pesticide Control: New Hampshire Code of Laws and Administrative Rules - Rules & Regulations about pesticide control (RSA 430 and Pes 100-1100).
- UNH Cooperative Extension: Pesticide Safety Education Program - Provides safety education resources.
- U.S. EPA: Pesticides - Various resources about pesticides and the federal rules and regulations that governs their use.
- U.S. EPA: Agriculture - Agriculture resources, including hot topics related to pesticide use and rules and regulations.
- U.S. EPA: Revisions to the Worker Protection Standard - Resources explaining the major revisions to the WPS.
- How to comply with the 2015 Revised WPS Standards - Provides guidance to owners and employers on how to comply with the WPS.
For additional information, contact the NH Department of Agriculture, Markets & Food, Division of Pesticide Control.