Natural Resources team member Andy Fast serves Strafford County as a Field Specialist in Natural Resources, or "County Forester."
Andy is available to meet with individuals, businesses, towns and organizations with interests or questions concerning the county's forest based natural resources. Topics include (among others):
- Forest Management
- Forest Health
- Current Use
- Conservation Options
- Urban and Community Forestry
- Wildlife Management
- Forest Based Economics
- Timber Harvesting Related Laws
- Financial Assistance Programs
- Other Forestry Questions and Concerns
As County Forester, he is available to provide "unbiased" information to help Strafford County towns, residents, organizations and businesses make informed decisions about their forest resources as well as support UNH Cooperative Extension's Natural Resource mission in:
- Promoting general public awareness of the varied economic benefits and ecological services provided by the state's commercial forests.
- Raising awareness of the economic and ecological values of our forests and wildlife among residents and community decision-makers, through site visits, publications, workshops and seminars.
- Ensuring the long-term sustainability of New Hampshire's forest and wildlife resources by educating landowners and land managers about sustainable use, land stewardship and wildlife habitat conservation.
- Raising awareness of sound land stewardship and wildlife habitat conservation by training and supporting a network of natural resource volunteers, such as Tree Stewards and Coverts.
- Improving the ability of landowners to be good stewards of their land by helping them to identify their objectives, understand their options and appreciate the consequences of their actions.
- Maintaining the ecological integrity and economic vitality of the natural resources in New Hampshire's communities by providing research-based information and educational programs on forestry, wildlife, land use planning, estate planning, natural resource inventories and land conservation.
In addition to direct assistance, the Strafford County Forester is the link between the county residents, towns, and natural resources businesses and organizations to numerous other UNH Cooperative Extension natural resource faculty and staff located throught the state. As appropriate, specialists around the state may be brought in on different topics to better meet the needs of communities.
For more information please contact:
Andy Fast, Field Specialist, Natural Resources, Strafford County.
Contact -e-mail - firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: (603) 749-4445(office): (603)841-6544 (cell)