Whether you have been a 4-H leader for years or are just starting your 4-H volunteer journey, please join us for the inaugural NH 4-H Volunteer Leaders Conference. From capacity building to networking to simply reinvigorating your volunteer spirit, NH 4-H is hosting an enriching experience for you as you grow as a 4-H volunteer leader.
Date: Friday November 17 - Saturday, November 18, 2017
Location: Grappone Conference Center, Concord, NH
Cost: Pre-registration (prior to 11/10/17) $25/person. In-person registration: $40/person
Please note that some counties have scholarships available. Contact your local 4-H program manager for availability and for the scholarship coupon code (required at time of registration.)
Friday, November 17
5:00 pm - Registration Open (will remain open throughout conference)
5:00-6:00 pm - Annual 4-H Foundation of New Hampshire Board Meeting (Optional, all are welcome)
6:00-6:30 pm - Cocktail Hour and networking reception
6:30-7:30 pm - Volunteer Leader Welcome Dinner with 4-H Foundation and Alumni
7:30-9:30 pm - Evening of Pampering
Saturday, November 18:
7:00 am- 7:30 am - Morning Stretch
7:30 - 8:45 am - Breakfast with Volunteer Champions- (welcome speaker at 8:15am)
9:00 - 10:15 am - Workshop #1
10:30 - 11:45 am - Workshop #2
12:00 - 1:30 pm - Awards Banquet & Silent Auction
1:45 - 3:00 pm - Workshop #3
3:15 - 4:00 pm - Closing remarks & Raffle Winners
Annual 4-H Foundation of New Hampshire Board Meeting
Each fall the 4-H Foundation reviews the program year that has come to a close, while looking ahead to the wonderful programs being supported in the year to come. All volunteers are welcome to join the meeting to hear about the vision of the board as it continues to support the 4-H youth and families of New Hampshire.
Friday night Evening of Pampering
It’s Friday night! Time to unwind from your busy schedule and spend a few hours doing what you love – RELAX. You spend so much of your time helping and giving to others that it’s easy to neglect yourself and become worn out, stressed, and run down. This is your time to do something nice for “you” - you’ve earned it.
Because everyone unwinds in different ways, we have put together some different options for you to choose from on Friday evening. While the list of options will grow between now and November, we are excited to offer some of these types of leisure activities at no cost to you:
- 15 Chair massages
- Spiritual Readings
- Drinkable Art (painting wine glasses or fancy mugs while sipping your favorite beverage with new friends)
- Virtual Golf
- Art with Chocolate
- And much more!
Throughout the second day of the conference there will be a variety of workshops offered for both new and seasoned volunteers. Below are a list of workshop areas. At the time of registration, please indicate areas that you are interested in as offerings will be based on demand. Feel free to choose as many as you like to ensure that you have multiple to choose from the day of the conference. Pre-registration for the specific workshop sessions, as we know that your interests may change by the time of the conference.
- You’re a Good Sport, Charlie Brown- Keeping Competition Fun! Good sportsmanship is a critical skill for 4-H youth because character does count. Lean how to instill the value of sportsmanship in 4-H youth.
- What is in your 4-H office? Using 4-H Curriculum & Resources - Ever wonder what those shelves with lots of binders and colorful art covered spiral notebooks are? They are reviewed, evidenced-based curriculum filled with wonderful learning experiences for our youth….not to mention designed to lead you as the leader through the experiences step-by-step! Come learn about how to not only find the right piece, but also how to use and teach it experientially.
- Leading Our Future Leaders - Leadership is more than just taking on an office role in a club - it means exuding empathy and compassion for those being served. Through exploring your own leadership capacity, learn how to transcend the lessons of leadership to our 4-H youth.
- Putting the Learning Back into Service - An essential keystone of the 4-H experience is giving back to community. Unfortunately our community service time is sometimes dreaded by youth, as ‘picking up trash’ doesn’t always exude meaning. Learn about opportunities to engage with the community that is rewarding for all involved.
- My 4-H Club is STILL a Cool Place to Be! As with any aging relationship, things can become stale and routine - even in a 4-H club! Learn about ways to keep your ‘older’ club fresh and engaged. From developing club networking opportunities to new ways of doing ‘old business’, there are ways to keep the fun in 4-H!
- Three Weddings and a Funeral - Have you ever had to pull together a family reunion, graduation party, or birthday celebration? If so, then you have what it takes to help us grow our 4-H program. Come share your expertise and learn how you can contribute to the process of making our 4-H events even better.
- Take a Deep Breath: Creating Mindfulness - In a day and age when our Head, Heart, Hands and Health are attached to devices, it is no wonder we forget to take that moment to breathe and be in the moment. Through mindfulness activities, come learn ways to integrate these types of ‘moments’ not into only your time with youth but also with yourselves.
- It’s All About the Benjamins! - From SPIN programs to Club operations, it often takes funds or resources to make the program year run. Spend time with the 4-H Foundation Executive Director to learn how to put the FUN back into FUNdraising!
- 4-H 101 - The world of 4-H while large and exciting, can also be daunting and overwhelming. 4-H 101 is designed to introduce the opportunities of 4-H while covering the basics of becoming a true 4-H leader. For those of you just joining 4-H as a leader, the introductory session is a key part of the orientation process as you become a screened 4-H leader.
- Understanding Cultural Sensitivity in Today’s World - 4-H is an all-inclusive, open-access organization that welcomes ALL youth and families. As we embrace the diversity of our ever-changing world there are ways in which we can educate ourselves to ensure we are respectful of others while celebrating our differences. From ethnicity to race to sexual orientation, understanding and appreciating our diversity only helps us grow as leaders of youth in creating true safe spaces.
- Pinterest Addicts Anonymous - Getting crafty with 4-H! Pinterest is taking over the internet, inspiring many to “do it yourself." This phenomena can be a great resource when it comes to planning club activities. What have you tried that worked successfully? What was a major fail? Come share your ideas and learn something new to take back with you for the new year.
- Save the Drama for Your Mama - Tools to handle Conflict. Human nature often leads to conflict despite our greatest efforts. Drama within the group setting is often inevitable. Learn some tips and tricks for creating an environment that may not eliminate the drama but will be help to lessen the impact.
- We’ve Got Spirit, Yes we do, We've got spirit, How 'bout you? - Are you feeling worn-out, overwhelmed, bored or lethargic? Have you lost your “mojo” and need to find your volunteer-motivation again? Come join our pep squad and reinvigorate your volunteer spirit!
- 4-H Curriculum Tracks - From STEM to Healthy Living to Horticulture, there will be a number of offerings on specific 4-H curriculum. Be sure to indicate which content area sounds most intriguing to you on our registration page so we can be sure to have materials available for you!
- Living in a Plastic Bubble; Keeping 4-H Experiences Fun and SAFE - While ideally we would love to have our kids encased in a plastic bubble to ensure safety at all times, it just isn’t realistic. With growth of program opportunities and experiences, there is inherent growth in risk as well. Come learn about our policies and procedures that we have in place to help keep our youth and YOU safe.