Summary of Position
The University of New Hampshire Cooperative Extension and Belknap County invite qualified individuals to apply for the Belknap County Community & Economic Development Field Specialist position. The Field Specialist will provide educational outreach, technical assistance, and project planning and implementation support that builds community and regional leaders’ capacity to grow and sustain the local and regional economy and builds economic resilience. Areas of focus include tourism and recreation, economic development, business retention and expansion, Main Street revitalization, and entrepreneurial development. The position is full-time, benefited and will be based in the Belknap County Extension office in Laconia, New Hampshire.
- Master’s degree in a field such as, economic development, regional planning, tourism development, recreation management or a related discipline and three years of professional experience in community and economic development.
- Knowledge of effective community and economic development strategies and approaches.
- Experience working with community/regional leaders on community development, economic development, recreation/tourism, and/or community/regional planning.
- Demonstrated ability to convene stakeholders and facilitate community, organizational, or regional planning processes.
- Demonstrated ability to convey basic community and economic development principles—and data—to the public, community practitioners, businesses, and local government officials.
- Ability to teach and communicate ideas effectively verbally, in writing, and through educational technology.
- Ability to work productively with indirect supervision.
- Ability to work collaboratively; ability to take responsibility to help team efforts succeed.
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills in a team setting; ability to manage conflict.
- Demonstrated willingness to learn on an ongoing basis.
- Ability to adapt to changing programming and workplace priorities.
Field Specialist Responsibilities:
- Implement programs focused on recreation and tourism development, business retention and Expansion, economic development planning, and entrepreneurship in partnership with UNH Extension colleagues, statewide collaborators, and other UNH resources. Programs could include Downtowns & Trails, Main Street Academy, First Impressions, etc.
- Collaborate on the development and implementation of new outreach programs and educational resources focused on economic recovery from the pandemic.
- Contribute to community and economic development efforts in Belknap County and the region by providing planning, technical, and project assistance related to recreation and tourism development, downtown revitalization, economic development, and business retention.
- Provide education and technical support to decision-makers regarding economic data and trends to inform decision making (e.g. downtown market analysis, economic impact analysis, etc.).
- Educate community and economic development practitioners, civic leaders, and community volunteers so they have the skills to implement effective economic development strategies.
- Develop tools and information resources—including data—that support decision-making by community and regional decision-makers.
Other Required Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in program planning with the Community and Economic Development Program Team and an Area of Expertise (AoE), as assigned.
- Provide timely data for UNH Cooperative Extension’s reporting system for documenting and evaluating program outcomes.
- Participate in staff meetings – including program team meetings, county staff meetings, and county advisory council meetings – as well as other program activities as appropriate.
- Keep accurate, complete and timely work records and reports.
- Assume responsibilities for travel within the state and at appropriate national conferences.
Administrative Relationships: The position will be supervised by the Program Team Leader for Community and Economic Development on matters related to (a) performance and job responsibilities, (b) developing effective external working relationships with clientele groups, other agencies, departments and organizations, © professional development and (d) planning and reporting. The position will necessitate collaboration with staff across the Community and Economic Development Program Team, as well as other Program Teams, including Natural Resources and Food and Ag.
The University System of New Hampshire is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action employer. The University System is committed to creating an environment that values and supports diversity and inclusiveness across our campus communities and encourages applications from qualified individuals who will help us achieve this mission. The University System prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, or marital status, genetic information, and political orientation. Application by members of all underrepresented groups is encouraged. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the U.S.