UNH Extension Seeks a Field Specialist, Agricultural Business Management, Rockingham County
This position is based at UNH Extension’s Rockingham County office in Brentwood, N.H. Under the general guidance of Extension’s Food and Agriculture Program Team Leader, the field specialist will provide formal and informal education for businesses, communities, and individuals by organizing and implementing educational programs, including workshops, webinars, grower meetings, and in-person farm visits; disseminating current research-based information through development of fact sheets, articles, and other print and web-based resources; and providing one-on-one technical assistance in business management to improve business profitability.
- Provide formal and informal education for businesses, communities, and individuals by organizing and implementing educational programs, including workshops, webinars, grower meetings, and in-person farm visits.
- Provide one-on-one technical assistance in business management to improve business profitability.
- Disseminate current research-based information to clients through development of fact sheets, articles, newsletters, and other print and web-based resources.
- Work independently and with a team of Extension state and field specialists to support, plan, develop, implement, and evaluate innovative, relevant, and impactful educational programs that enhance the profitability and sustainability of agricultural businesses in Rockingham County and statewide.
- Ensure programmatic involvement of under-served and under-represented audiences and that all educational programming is designed and conducted in full accordance with civil rights, Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Affirmative Action (AA) and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) policies and procedures.
- Connect agricultural businesses with Extension staff and programs as appropriate when client needs fall outside the field specialist’s area of expertise.
- Involve the Rockingham County Cooperative Extension Advisory Council and local agricultural agencies and organizations in educational needs assessment.
- Develop partnerships and serve on committees and boards with local and state agricultural agencies and organizations such as Farm Service Agency, Farm Credit East, and the NH Department of Agriculture, Markets and Food. Strive for productive relationships with elected and appointed officials.
- Support the Extension Rockingham County Office Administrator (COA) in the performance of their duties, carry out appropriate delegated responsibilities, and serve as the COA when the need is identified and as advised by the program team leader and Extension administration.
- Develop and implement a professional development plan to maintain and enhance competence in appropriate agriculture subject areas and professional skills such as leadership, group process and facilitation, use of technology and instructional design.
- Accomplish other duties as assigned by the program team leader.
- A master’s degree and two years’ experience in agricultural economics, agricultural business management, farm business management, or a closely related field. Applicants with a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field and three years relevant experience may be considered contingent upon their agreement to obtain a master’s degree within seven years of employment.
- High degree of subject matter competence in farm business management practices, business planning, and farm business analysis.
- Experience working with commercial agricultural producers and organizations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with coworkers and clients with a variety of values and interests and of all ages, race, ethnic backgrounds, income and education levels.
- Availability to work some nights and weekend days.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and access to a personal vehicle for frequent local travel. Mileage will be reimbursed at the federal rate.
- Demonstrated competency in developing and delivering educational programs.
- Experience or familiarity with Extension programs.
The University System of New Hampshire is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action employer. The University System is committed to creating an environment that values and supports diversity and inclusiveness across our campus communities and encourages applications from qualified individuals who will help us achieve this mission. The University System prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, or marital status, genetic information, and political orientation. Application by members of all underrepresented groups is encouraged. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the U.S.