During the program, youth plant their container or conventional gardens, tend to weeds, check for insects and diseases, photograph or sketch their garden’s progress, and set goals for how they plan to use their garden’s produce to participate in the local fair, donate to charities, or experiment with a new recipe, etc. 4-H members have the option of recording their summer’s project in their Gardening Booklet.
Seeds for the program are donated, and youth may supplement these with optional purchased plants or seeds. In addition to regular flower, herb, and vegetable seeds, sponsors also donate giant sunflower, giant pumpkin, and pickling cucumber seeds for contest-specific events; prizes for which are awarded at the Fall Festival.
Youth can sign up for the Gardening Program at any time by contacting the Extension Office (787-6944). (Youth attending the Garden Party will automatically be entered into the program.) Donated seeds will be available for pick-up at the Garden Party. Youth unable to attend the Garden Party can still obtain donated seeds by contacting the Extension Office. Seeds will be available on a first come, first served basis.
How do youth participate in the Garden Program?
1. Read the Gardening Program Information Packet carefully.
2. Register for the Garden Program by attending the Garden Party on Saturday, April 6, 2019 or by contacting the office to sign up for the program.
3. Attend the drop-in Garden Party, 9:00am to 12:00pm to pick up seeds and learn via several different activity stations happening during the morning.
4. Plant the seeds.
5. Write thank you notes to all our sponsors during the month of June.
6. Enter something from the garden in the North Haverhill Fair (entries are due June 15th).
7. Harvest cucumbers from the garden and make pickles as part of the Pickle Challenge.
9. Complete the optional Grafton County 4-H Gardening Booklet and submit it to the office prior to the September 11th deadline. (Youth choosing to submit their completed booklets to the Extension office prior to the deadline will be included in a special prize drawing which will be handed out at the Fall Festival.)
10. Participate in the mid-October 4-H Family Fall Festival, at Blackmount Equipment in North Haverhill. Events will include the Giant Pumpkin Contest, the Giant Sunflower Contest, the Pickle Challenge, the Pumpkin and Vegetable Decorating Contests, games and activities for the whole family, and more! (Contest details are available in the Gardening Program Information Packet. See the link below.)
- Gardening Program Information Packet (includes the Pickle Challenge recipe)
- Garden Party Event Flyer
- Gardening Booklet
- North Haverhill Fair (view the Exhibit Hall Packet for details about eligible garden-related entries)