Join Schoolyard SITES, a unique opportunity for you and your students to conduct a project-based science investigation with a UNH Cooperative Extension volunteer!
Schoolyard SITES (Schoolyard Science Investigations by Teachers, Extension Volunteers, and Students) is a UNH research study that investigates a new professional development model for elementary teachers (2nd-5th grade). With support from Cooperative Extension volunteers, teachers develop science investigations that incorporate student learning goals aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), and involving existing citizen science projects.
- Teach elementary school (2nd-5th grades)
- Have a minimum of three years experience as an elementary teacher
- Agree to the program requirements (e.g., attend all workshops; partner with Extension Science Volunteer for 1 school year; participate in research activities-brief surveys, interview, classroom visit; design & teach a locally-relevant, citizen science project)
- Provide a letter of support from the school principal
Teachers who participate in this research study will:
- Participate in summer and school-year professional development workshops led by UNH education and citizen science professionals
- Collaborate, throughout one school year, with a UNH Cooperative Extension science volunteer with expertise in environmental science-related topics and citizen science
- Design and teach a locally-relevant citizen science project in partnership with a science volunteer and the UNH education team
- Take part in a research study to improve elementary science (surveys, interviews and sharing instructional materials)
- Receive stipend (proportional to program completion; max $2,000 per teacher), classroom materials, & mileage reiumbursement for travel to all workshops
Applications for 2020-2021 Due March 31.*For 2020-21, preference for teachers in the following school districts—Bedford, Nashua, Manchester, Portsmouth, and ORCSD (If your school district is interested in getting involved, contact Lara Gengarelly at Lara.Gengarelly@unh.edu ).
2020-2021 Educator Workshop Dates:
- Saturday, June 27, 2020 (full day)
- Tuesday, July 14, 2020 (full day)
- Wednesday, July 15, 2020 (full day)
- Thursday, July 16, 2020 (full day)
- Friday, July 17, 2020 (full day)
- Saturday, October 3, 2020 (full day)
- Tuesday, November 10, 2020 (after school)
- Tuesday, November 17, 2020 (after school)
- Tuesday, January 26, 2021 (after school)
- Tuesday, February 2, 2021 (after school)
- Tuesday, March 30, 2021 (after school)
- Tuesday, May 18, 2021 (final showcase - time TBD)
For more details email email@example.com.