Join Schoolyard SITES, a unique opportunity for you and your students to conduct a project-based science investigation with a UNH Cooperative Extension volunteer!
Schoolyard SITES (Schoolyard Science Investigations by Teachers, Extension Volunteers, and Students) is a UNH research study that investigates a new professional development model for elementary teachers (2nd-5th grade). With support from Cooperative Extension volunteers, teachers develop science investigations that incorporate student learning goals aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), and involving existing citizen science projects.
- Teach elementary school (2nd-5th grades)
- Have a minimum of three years experience as an elementary teacher
- Agree to the program requirements
- Provide a letter of support from the school principal
*For 2019-20, Schoolyard SITES will accept applications from teachers in the following school districts—Nashua, Manchester, Portsmouth, and ORCSD (If your school district is interested in getting involved, contact Lara Gengarelly at Lara.Gengarelly@unh.edu ).
Teachers who participate in this research study will:
- Participate in summer and school-year professional development workshops led by UNH education and citizen science professionals
- Collaborate with a UNH Cooperative Extension science volunteer with expertise in life and Earth science throughout one school year
- Design and teach a locally-relevant citizen science project in partnership with a science volunteer and the UNH education team
- Take part in a research study to improve elementary science (surveys, interviews and sharing instructional materials)
- Receive stipend (proportional to program completion; max $2,000 per teacher)
Applications for 2019-2020 Due April 12. Download Flyer
2019-2020 Training Dates:
- Saturday, June 22, 2019 (full day)
- Tuesday, July 16, 2019 (full day)
- Wednesday, July 17, 2019 (full day)
- Thursday, July 18, 2019 (full day)
- Friday, July 19, 2019 (full day)
- Saturday, September 28, 2019 (full day)
- Tuesday, November 12, 2019 (after school)
- Tuesday, November 19, 2019 (after school)
- Tuesday, January 28, 2020 (after school)
- Tuesday, February 4, 2020 (after school)
- Tuesday, March 31, 2020 (after school)
- Tuesday, May 19, 2020 (final showcase - time TBD)
For more details email firstname.lastname@example.org.