64 Johnson Mountain Road
Unity, NH 03743
Rain Date: Sunday, June 5, 2022
This workshop will be held at Stone Fence Farm in Unity, NH. This property is owned and managed by professional foresters Jeremy Turner and Laura French to support a diversity of native plant and wildlife species. This workshop will include slow walking tours visiting a variety of field, forest, and wetland habitats to identify as many birds as we can by sight and sound.
During this workshop you will learn:
- Tips and tricks for how to identify the birds we encounter by sight and by their songs/calls
- The ecology and habitat needs of the birds we encounter
- How past timber and field management has created habitat opportunities for birds
- How the forest, field, and wetland habitats we see can be managed to enhance and maintain habitat opportunities for birds and other wildlife
This workshop will be offered in two trips that will visit different habitats on the property. Will we take a break between trips to enjoy wood-fired fruit pies (provided by Jeremy and Laura) and shade-grown coffee (provided by Troubardour Coffee).
- 5:30 am Arrive
- 5:45am – 7:30 am Birding Trip #1
- 7:30am – 8:30 am Breakfast Refreshments & Coffee (Provided)
- 8:30am – 10:45 am Birding Trip #2
- 10:45 am Adjourn
- Phil Brown (Harris Center for Conservation Education – Bird Cons. Director/Land Specialist)
- Dode Gladders (UNH Cooperative Extension - Sullivan County Forester)
- Laura French (Meadowsend Timberlands - Forester)
- Matt Tarr (UNH Cooperative Extension – Wildlife Specialist)
- Jeremy Turner (Meadowsend Timberlands – Forester)
- Ignacio Oreamuno (Troubardour Coffee - Owner/Founder)
This workshop is intended for anyone who is interested in learning more about birds, bird ecology, and what landowner’s can do to create and enhance bird habitat on their own land. No previous birding experience is necessary. Registration is required and limited to 15 participants.
Refund Policy: Full refunds will be granted to those who cancel their registration before May, 29, 2022. No refunds will be granted for cancellations requested on or after this date.
What to bring:
- Binoculars and your favorite bird field guide
- Insect repellent
- Clothing and footwear appropriate for walking in the woods
Continuing Education Credits:
- 4 NH Licensed Forester CEUS