See Below for Details
Concord, NH 03301
Dates: June 23rd & 24th, 2022; This is a two-day course, sign-up for one day or both.
The Eastern White Pine Management Institute (EWPMI) is a newly formed, collaborative effort headed by the University of New Hampshire, University of Maine, and University of Massachusetts. The purpose of the EWPMI is to share information about eastern white pine (EWP) and promote outreach efforts.
Part 2 of the EWPMI Symposium/Workshop on the Management and Health of Eastern White Pine will occur on June 23 and 24 in the Concord, NH area. Hotels are available in the Concord/Manchester area. The symposium will also have a field component in addition to presentations and strategy sessions.
Space: Limited to 40 participants per day.
Cost: $25.00 per day; Fee is waived for symposium speakers
June 23 - 6.0 Category 1 SAF CFEs available for licensed foresters.
June 24 – 5.5 Category 1 SAF CFEs available for licensed foresters.
June 23 - Morning
54 Portsmouth St
Concord, NH 03301
Durgin & Crowell Lumber Co.
231 Fisher Corner Rd
Springfield NH 03284
June 24 - Morning
Mast Yard State Forest
Broad Cove Rd
Hopkinton, NH 03229
Bear Brook State Park
Allenstown NH 03275
- 9:00 am – Welcome.
- 9:15 am - Summary of Symposium Presentations from March: Health and management in Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, and Wisconsin. Bill Livingston, UMaine.
- 9:45 am - Eastern White Pine Management in Virginia. Zach Olinger, Forest Manager, Virginia Dept of Forestry, Galax, VA.
- 10:15 am - Break.
- 10:30 am - White Pine Markets and Management of Natural Regeneration in North Carolina: Jim Phillips, Avery Timber Resources, Spruce Pine, NC.
- 11:00 am - Managing Eastern White Pine on Woodlots in Southern Vermont: George Weir, Consulting Forester, Williamsville, VT.
- 11:30 am - Trends in white pine management across the range: Bill Livingston, UMaine.
- 12:00 – 1:00 pm – Lunch and travel to sawmill
- 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm – Tour Durgin & Crowell Lumber Co.
- 9:00 am – 12:00 pm – Mast Yard State Forest, field tour of white pine needle damage, Caliciopsis canker symptoms, and other pine diseases.
- 12:00 – 12:30 pm – Lunch.
- 12:30 - 2:30 pm: Bear Brook State Park field tour of low-density white pine management
- 3 pm – Adjourn, safe travels.