Stratham Hill Park Fairgrounds
270 Portsmouth Ave
Stratham, NH 03885
Rockingham and Strafford County 4-H are teaming up to bring you the most sophisticated 4-H STEM challenge yet!
On the day following County 4-H Presents and Stratham 4-H Summerfest, on Sunday, July 17, we will be hosting a team Trebuchet Challenge at the Stratham Hill Park Fairgrounds. Yes, we will have actual trebuchets flinging projectiles across a field. If this sounds fun, I promise you, it’s way more fun than you can imagine! Each team will build its own trebuchet and compete in three areas: a distance competition, an accuracy competition, and a design competition.
This is a perfect activity for your 4-H Club, family unit, or group of close friends. Make sure to invite friends who are not in 4-H yet to join your team! This is an ideal event for introducing new friends to the wide and wacky world of 4-H.
- Assemble your team. There is no team size limit, but if your team grows over 8 people, please split into two separate teams if possible. Each team needs one adult. Create a team name.
- Register all members of your team for the Trebuchet Challenge in 4-H Online. Registration is required! Deadline: June 17. All team members must be registered by Friday, June 17.
- Build a Tabletop Trebuchet together as a group, following this detailed Activity Guide. Your team is required to build a Tabletop Trebuchet to gain a basic understanding of trebuchet design. Send a photo of your Tabletop Trebuchet to Mike Harris (Rockingham County) or Caitlin Wollack (Strafford County). Your Tabletop Trebuchet would also be a great entry for the 4-H Makers Expo May 7!
- Extrapolate from your Tabletop Trebuchet to create your own design for your Big Trebuchet using wood and other materials. There is no activity guide for your Big Trebuchet – get creative and make your own plan! Just make sure to follow the guidelines listed on the poster for the event.
- Construct your Big Trebuchet together. Build your own original Big Trebuchet and decorate it as you want to. Feel free to come to Tinker Times sessions at Port City Makerspace on Friday evenings to work on your project together!
- Bring your Big Trebuchet to Stratham Hill Park on Friday, July 15 between 5:00 - 8:00 PM.
- Compete! Design judging will happen during County 4-H Presents on July 16 (optional for participants to be present) and trebuchets in action will occur on Sunday, July 17 from 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM. Come and compete for prizes for the longest shot, most accurate shot, and best design!
Check out this video from a past NH 4-H Trebuchet Competition!