4-H Poster Design Contest
4-H Poster Design Contest
Your poster design could be chosen as the cover art for Merrimack County’s 4-H Note Cards!
ADDITIONAL CONTEST INFO:
Participants will be entered in a chance to win a Magnificent Art Supply Gift Pack!
ALL who participate will receive a 4-H Poster Design Embroidered Patch like this one.
HOW TO ENTER THE CONTEST:
- Registration Deadline is January 30, 2021.
- Register through 4HOnline under the “4-H Poster Design Contest” event. You must be an enrolled member to register. Login to your family account and click the “events” section from the list on the left. Find our event and click the blue register button.
- Poster submissions are due on or before: March 1, 2021.
- Upload a photo of your poster submissions here: https://unh.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_b7TCdgEn9Kz2YbX
- Hold onto your poster! Youth can later submit their poster into Merrimack County 4-H Presentation Day where it will be judged and receive feedback.
- PRIZES! We will mail participants a 4-H Poster Design Embroidered Patch for their submission. At this point your name will be placed in a pool for a chance to win the Magnificent Art Supply Gift Pack!
WHAT IS A PROMOTIONAL POSTER?
Promotional posters market a specific program, event, or idea. They can be useful in recruiting new 4-H members, educating the public, and raising awareness about important subjects. Entering the 4-H Poster Contest gives you an opportunity to showcase your artistic abilities while promoting 4-H. You don't have to be an artist to enter a poster. You may want to print images from your computer, use scrapbooking supplies, trace an image, or even cut pictures from a magazine. Whatever you decide, make sure that your artwork connects to the theme you have chosen. See additional poster rules below!
HOW TO FIND A POSTER THEME:
Just choose a “catchy" theme related to 4-H and create a poster focusing on that theme. Here are some examples of “catchy” phrases that you can use if you need help getting started:
- Go GREEN!
- True Leaders Aren’t Born They’re GROWN
- Empowering Youth
- Join the Club
- Inspiring Kids to Do
- 4-H Grows Here
- 4-H is in Our ROOTS
- Friends Forever
Focus on teaching your audiences to understand 1 project area in 4-H such as:
- Outdoor Adventure
- Teen Leadership
- Giving Back
Use one of these topics to promote 4-H with or pick your favorite 4-H topic and go with it! In addition, remember, a good promotional poster is not loaded with text, it contains only the most essential bits of content. Just include the catch phrase and illustrations or pictures needed to tell the story.
- Poster must promote the 4-H Program.
- Posters must be made on standard poster board measuring 14” x 22”. They may be horizontal or vertical. Posters on non-standard size board will not be accepted. A poster board and pencils will be provided.
- Posters may be produced by any medium including watercolor, ink, crayon, acrylic, charcoal, markers and/or oils. Computer-generated graphics are acceptable.
- Posters may be three-dimensional, however must be no more than 1/4” high (must be able to lay flat in a pile).
- Poster should be able to be read from 10’ to 15’ away. Lettering should be a minimum of 2" tall in order to be read easily from a distance. Ideal lettering may include using stencils, cut outs, or adhesive lettering. In addition, you may print from a bold font on your computer. The use of hand lettering lacks the neatness and eye appeal of other methods.
- Poster should convey one clear message (not a collage)
- You must use the 4-H Clover
- It may not be distorted, and no images may be superimposed over it.
- The statement “18 USC 707” must legibly appear at the right of the base.
- Any use of the official 4-H Clover (any clover with “H’s” on the leaves) must be used in accordance with the rules governing the emblem. Official 4-H graphics and regulations may be found HERE You can print out the 4-H CLOVER HERE.
- Other than the 4-H Clover, posters may not incorporate copyrighted materials like “Garfield” or “Snoopy” cartoon characters or trademarked materials such as depictions of items with names like “Elmer’s Glue” or “Campbell’s Soup”
- Entries are limited to ONE per member
- Do NOT laminate your poster, save this step for in-person presentation. The image will photograph better without the lamination.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
Theme: Does the poster attract attention, focus your interest on the idea and motivate you to take action? Is the message brief and direct?
Simplicity: Is the poster limited to one idea and readable at a glance?
Originality: Does the poster convey an original idea?
Pleasing Composition, Attractive: Is the poster well-balanced and neatly done? Is the size in accordance with the contest rules?
NEED ADDITIONAL HELP?
Video Tutorial: A link will be provided when you register to a pre-recorded 5-minute “how-to” video about creating a Promotional 4-H Poster. Starring Merrimack County 4-H members just like you! A great visual reference that you can go back to whenever you need it.
DO YOU NEED ART SUPPLIES?
Poster board, crayons, a 4-H Clover emblem and a catchy phrase you can cutout? I am here to help! Just check off art supplies needed in your online registration and come pick them up on:
- Date: Saturday, January 9, 2021
- When: 9:00am – 11:00am
- Where: The Merrimack County 4-H Office located at 315 Daniel Webster Highway, Boscawen, NH 03303
Judging: The Winning poster/posters design will be selected by the staff at Cooperative Extension. Posters are judged on Theme, Simplicity and Originality. No feedback or scoring will occur. The winner will be determined by visual appeal only. Posters can later be submitted to your County 4-H Presentation event where they will be judged and receive feedback. Entries can then move onto to win awards and premiums at the State and Regional level as well as the County Fair.
After the Contest:Posters winners will be announced on Monday, March 8, 2021 through email, Facebook and the County newsletter. The grand prize winner will have their gift delivered to their door.
Call or email Laurie Field, 4-H Program Manager at email@example.com or (603) 255-3508.
I understand that my entry in this contest will grant permission for the artwork to be reproduced for 4-H promotional purposes by the University of New Hampshire Cooperative Extension 4-H program.