Beginner's Guide to Raising Pigs [Webinar]
Are you thinking about raising pigs for yourself or your family? Do you already have pigs, but want to brush up on some of the basics? Maybe you're looking to test the waters for a new business venture? Join us for this three-part series on the ins and outs of what it takes to raise pigs successfully in New Hampshire. We’ll start with the basics and end with more in-depth topics you can apply to your herd immediately, from regulations and housing to health and nutrition. Each session will cover something different, so be sure to attend all three!
Getting Started—March 30
- Site Selection, Housing, Manure, and Fencing; Nick Rowley, UNH Cooperative Extension
- Animal Welfare, Handling and Processing Considerations; Elaina Enzien, UNH Cooperative Extension
- Insider Tips from NH Pork Producers—Raising pigs from pastures to woods
Raising Backyard and Pastured Pigs—March 31
- A deeper dive into nutrition, breeds, breeding and health; Colt Knight, Livestock State Specialist, UMaine Extension
Regulations and Biosecurity—April 1
- Regulations, Reportable Diseases, and More; NH Department Agriculture, Market & Food
- Protecting your herd with good biosecurity; Elaina Enzien, UNH Cooperative Extension
For persons with disabilities requiring special accommodations, please contact Elaina Enzien at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (603) 679-5616 prior to the event. Given ample time, we will make any reasonable effort to make accommodations. A fee is charged for this Extension program to cover costs. A limited number of scholarships is available to individuals unable to pay.