Inventorying & Monitoring Grassland Birds
7:45am - 12:00pm
Description: Join Rosalind Renfrew (VT Center for Ecostudies), Matt Tarr (UNH Cooperative Extension), and John Harvey (Amherst Conservation Commission) for an interactive workshop that will teach you how to identify and inventory grassland birds (e.g., bobolinks, savannah sparrows, meadowlarks). After gathering at the Peabody Mill Conservation Center (66 Brook Road, Amherst, NH), we will travel to a nearby field and learn how to identify birds and complete simple inventory sheets that will allow you to track changes in bird numbers (e.g., year-to-year changes, changes in response to field management) over time. We will then return to Peabody Mill to learn how to enter your data into the eBird data sharing program and we’ll finish with a discussion about the ecology and methods for managing grassland birds. This workshop is for landowners, members of conservation commissions and land trusts, and natural resource consultants.
SAF Category I credits: 2.5 hours
- 7:30 – 8:00 am - Registration
- 8:00 – 8:15 am - Introductions (Please arrive on time - we will commence promptly at 8am)
- 8:20 am - Carpool to field site (TBD)
- 8:45 – 10:15 am - How to identify & count grassland birds in the field
- 10:15 am - Travel back to Peabody Mill Environmental Center
- 10:45 – 11:15 am - How to enter bird data in eBbird
- 11:15 – Noon - Grassland bird ecology and management
- Noon - Adjourn
For More Information:
- About the program, contact Matt Tarr at firstname.lastname@example.org or 603-953-4425
- About the meeting location, contact John Harvey at email@example.com
Registration is Required: This workshop will not happen if it is raining hard. Please provide your contact information when you register so we can contact you if this workshop gets cancelled due to severe weather.