Training: Cottontail Habitat Monitoring
10:00am - 2:30pm
Sponsoring Organizations: UNH Department of Natural Resources and the Environment & UNH Cooperative Extension
About this Training: The current population of New England cottontails, our only native rabbit, is estimated at 100 individual rabbits in New Hampshire. New England cottontails rely on dense shrubland habitat to survive, so habitat management is a large part of the work involved in conserving this state-endangered species. Researchers with the University of New Hampshire are investigating how habitat management affects populations of the state-endangered New England cottontail. Volunteers are needed to help collect vegetation data at field sites throughout southern New Hampshire, to better understand how vegetation influences New England cottontail populations. Your data will help guide habitat management decisions in New England.
- Receive training in research methods
- Collect vegetation data from at least one field site in southern NH between January – April 2019. Volunteers can sign up for more than one site, if interested. Sites will be selected at training.
- Submit data sheets & photos to UNH researchers
- Learn about important wildlife habitat
- Contribute valuable data to a research project
- Have a great excuse to get outside in this winter!
- Ability to use (or learn to use) technology & access to smartphone/tablet to run AvenzaMaps app
- Comfortable navigating off-trail in the woods
- Willingness to work in dense, shrubby vegetation
- Ability to travel to field site(s) in southern NH
- Willingness to spend at least 2-4 hours collecting data this winter; flexible work hours.
This training is free, but space is limited. Registration is required. Volunteers must be willing to commit to collecting data from at least one field site on their own this winter.
What to Bring: Volunteers should come dressed for the weather and prepared to spend a couple of hours outside reviewing the research methods. Bring your own lunch, water, etc. Volunteers will be provided with all necessary data sheets and field equipment.