Under the Vines Field Day
Those interested in the commercial production of kiwiberries and seedless table grapesare invited to the annual “Under the Vines” Field Day from 4 to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019. The event will be held at the University of New Hampshire's kiwiberry and seedless table grape research vineyards at the Woodman Horticultural Research Farm, a facility of the New Hampshire Agricultural Experiment Station. It is free and open to the public.
Under the Vines is an opportunity for current and future commercial producers, value-added processors, nursery owners, and the public to visit the vineyards, learn about current research and breeding activities, and share their knowledge, questions, and perspectives.
The full schedule includes:
Seedless table grapes: 4-5 p.m.
- Variety choice & evaluation
- Pruning & training systems
- Nutrient management
- Identifying and managing vineyard diseases
Kiwiberries: 5-6 p.m.
- Site selection, choosing & sourcing varieties
- Vineyard infrastructure & trellising
- Vine establishment, pruning, training, nutrient management
- Weed control (HYD-ROW-HOE demo)
- Pests, diseases, and cosmetics
- When to harvest, storage and ripening conditions
- Marketing survey & regional production guide
The event will conclude with kiwiberry and seedless table grape tasting and time for discussion. The field day is free and open to the public; however, the focus is on research for commercial production. For directions to the Woodman Horticultural Research Farm, visit: https://colsa.unh.edu/nhaes/directions/Woodman. There is plenty of free parking at the farm.