Design and build a unique invention that will complete a simple task in an overly complicated way. You’ll link together simple machines and quirky uses of common items in a chain reaction that uses gears, levers, pulleys, rolling balls, falling dominos and whatever else you can dream up!
The Challenge - When Pigs Fly The final step for your invention is to make a pig fly. Any pig, but not a live one!
The Rules Your invention must:
- Meet the final challenge and make a pig fly
- Complete 5 or more steps
- Have a run time of 2 minutes or less
- Fit inside a 16 ft2 footprint and be no taller than 5’
- Be free standing
- Start a team (4-8 kids) ages 8 – 18
- Find a coach or advisor
- Do some research – google terms like "Rube Goldberg machine"
- Collect a big pile of stuff and start tinkering
Showcase your Invention Inventions will be showcased at the 4-H Makers Expo on April 13 and evaluated by STEaM professionals to be eligible for prizes.
Registration information coming in January. For more information contact Claes Thelemarck or click the links below for complete rules and goal setting guidelines.