DATE CHANGES: Due to COVID-19 our 2020-2021 program will be postponed until 2022-2023. Applications will resume in winter of 2022.
Are you an Extension volunteer looking to share your passion for nature? Volunteer for Schoolyard SITES, and partner with teachers to explore, develop, and implement citizen science projects that relate to New Hampshire’s natural world.
Schoolyard SITES (Schoolyard Science Investigations by Teachers, Extension Volunteers, and Students) aims to improve science education in New Hampshire’s schools by creating partnerships between teachers in grades 2-5 and Extension volunteers with a background in natural resources. Together with a team of experts, teachers and volunteers learn how to design and implement locally-relevant, community-based citizen science projects with elementary school students. Teachers and volunteers collaborate over the course of a school year. We are recruiting individuals with a passion for working with youth and an interest/experience in natural resources to be part of this exciting new program.Volunteers will contribute to a UNH research effort to improve science education.
- Experience as a UNH Extension volunteer
- Experience in the field of natural resources (formal or informal)
- Willingness to explore and learn about citizen science projects that relate to New Hampshire natural resources
- Enthusiasm for working with elementary classroom teachers and youth (no teaching experience required)
- Commitment to participating in 6 days of training in partnership with teachers
- Willingness to travel for periodic visits to schools during the 2020-21 school year in the Merrimack Valley (time will vary depending on selected citizen science project)
- Succesfully complete application process, child safety online training, and background check
- Willingness to participate in research (surveys/interviews) related to the teacher-volunteer partnership and science education. Volunteers will receive a $500 stipend for their participation in the research.
2020-2021 Training Dates
Volunteers should be able to attend all workshop dates listed below (all are full-day; 9:00 am - 4:00 pm). All travel expenses to training (UNH Manchester campus) will be reimbursed at federal mileage rates.
- Saturday, June 27, 2020
- Tuesday, July 14, 2020
- Wednesday, July 15, 2020
- Thursday, July 16, 2020
- Friday, July 17, 2020
- Saturday, October 3, 2020
- Tuesday, May 19, 2021
Applications are due March 31, 2020. Successful applicants will be notified in early May. (Preference will go to individuals from the Nashua-Manchester cooridor)