Stratham Hill Park Fairgrounds
270 Portsmouth Ave
Stratham, NH 03885
Youth participate in one or more of a variety of categories aimed at conveying emotion, information, and skills through public speaking, visual aid, and even performance. Every 4-H member is encouraged to give a presentation each year. Each event is judged by a helpful and knowledgeable set of evaluators that provide both in-person and written feedback to participants. Through their presentations, youth learn to research a subject, organize their ideas into a logical order, and practice public speaking skills.
This year, County 4-H Presents will take place in conjunction with Stratham 4-H Summerfest.
Participation in 4-H Presents can take many forms:
Demonstrations / Illustrated Talks
- Demonstrations are simply showing and telling how to do something. You explain what you are doing while you work on something you like to do. Example: How to transplant a house plant.
- Illustrated Talks are like Demonstrations but instead of working on something while you talk, you just talk and use a variety of visual aids to help you. Example: Explaining horse breeds and colors using horse models.
- Demonstrations and Illustrated Talks last 3-10 minutes depending on your age category.
- Action Exhibits are interactive presentations that involve the audience in the presentation process. Like a Demonstration, you show or demonstrate a skill, such as how to make something, or show how something works. Unlike a Demonstration, the audience asks questions and interacts with the presenter and may even try the skill themselves. Audience members may even be able to take home something you’ve shown them how to make. Example: How to make bath salts.
- As different audience members visit your exhibit, you may demonstrate your skill multiple times for up to 50 minutes.
- Action Exhibits may be done individually or in teams of 2-3 people.
- Public Speaking is a chance to research, organize facts, and present a speech on an issue or topic of interest.
- Speeches can be 2-10 minutes, depending on your age category.
- You can submit a framed or matted photograph you have taken.
- Photo categories: New Hampshire at its Best, 4-H at its Best/4-H Promotion, or Open Category.
- You can submit a poster you made.
- Poster categories: 4-H Citizenship, 4-H Promotion, 4-H Healthy Living, or 4-H Science.
- You can submit a stand-alone poster on a topic of your choice.
- Posters can be educational or promotional.
- You can submit a 3–5-minute video on a topic of your choice.
- Videos can be created individually or by teams of 2-3 people.
Cloverbud Show & Tell
- Cloverbud members (ages 5-7 as of January 1 of the current program year) can present a “Show & Tell”. This is a non-competitive and fun way to share what you like and learn from others too.
- Cloverbud Show & Tell presentations can be 1-3 minutes.
Event Information & Guidelines
The information includes guidelines for each contest, age requirements and divisions, preparation tips, scoresheet examples, and entry forms for photos and posters. Please review prior to registering!
- Demonstrations / Illustrated Talks
- Action Exhibits
- Public Speaking
- Poster contest
- Flix Videos
- Youth may enter a maximum of two Communications events (Demonstrations, Action Exhibits, or Public Speaking). In addition, youth may enter any or all of the three other contests (Photography, Poster, Flix Video).
- Entries, submissions, and presentations which have been previously delivered at State NH 4-H Presents may not be repeated without significant changes. All presentations and submissions must be new work completed since June of the previous program year.
- Live animals are not allowed at the event.
- Firearms may not be included in any presentations. For presentations related to firearms, models or photos must be substituted.
- Any use of the 4-H Clover must be in accordance with the rules governing the emblem.
Registration will be through 4-H Online and will open soon. Deadline to register: July 1st
Rockingham County 4-H Program Manager
Strafford County 4-H Program Manager
Rockingham County 4-H Administrative Assistant
Strafford County Administrative Assistant
How to Register for an Event in 4-H Online
If you would like to participate in a 4-H event on a one-time basis...
Help Guide: How to Create a 4-H Online Participant Profile and Register for an Event
If you would like enroll in the NH 4-H Program as a new member and then register for an event...
Help Guide: How to enroll in 4-H Online and Register for an Event
If your family members are already enrolled in 4-H Online…
Help Guide: How to register for an event in 4-H Online
If you need to re-enroll before registering…
Help Guide: 4-H Online Re-enrollment