COME TO THE NH 4-H LIVESTOCK SHOW & AUCTION AND BID ON BEEF, MEAT GOATS, LAMB, & SWINE FARM RAISED BY NH 4-H MEMBERS.
WHERE & WHEN IS THE AUCTION?
- Date: Monday, September 4, 2023
- Show Time: 10:00am
- Auction Time: 12:30pm
- Location: Hopkinton State Fair, 392 Kearsarge Ave, Contoocook, NH 03229
WHY SHOULD I BUY AN ANIMAL AT THE AUCTION?
- To support local, small scale agriculture.
- To eat high quality, locally grown meat.
- To support and encourage youth to develop life skills and responsibility through their market animal project which helps them become productive citizens in the future.
- Consider donating high quality, locally grown meat to the less fortunate.
- To get free publicity for your business at the Hopkinton State Fair and in local newspapers.
THINGS TO KNOW:
- Acceptable Forms of Payment - Check or Cash ONLY
- Purchases are not tax deductible
- Processors will be on hand to take orders and transport purchased animals for those interested
SUGGESTED SCHEDULE FOR THE DAY:
- Arrive early to meet the youth who contacted you & committee members.
- Preview Livestock in the barn – Look for the auction banner between the Swine & 4-H Beef Barn.
- Check in at the registration table, get an auction number and learn more about the program.
- Watch the shows beginning at 10:00am, listen to the judge’s reasons for placing the animals and watch the awards ceremony.
- Listen to instructions for the auction.
- Bid on the animal(s) of your choice and receive the ribbon the animal won.
- Pay for your purchase and choose a processor.
** If you are unable to attend the fair but want to bid on an animal contact Michelle Bersaw-Robblee, 603-255-3556, to place an absentee bid. Let Michelle know how many animals you want to purchase and of what species, the total amount you’re willing to spend, whether you want to bid on a specific 4-H youth’s animal, and the facility where you choose to have the animal(s) processed. **
For more information or to place an absentee bid, contact: Michelle Bersaw-Robblee, UNH Cooperative Extension (603) 255-3556 or email@example.com.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER I BUY AN ANIMAL AT THE AUCTION?
Once you have paid the cashier and chosen your processor, we encourage you to see the rest of the fair. The committee members will see that the animal is delivered to your chosen processing plant or whatever other arrangements you have made for the animal. The processing plant will contact you within the next week to find out how you would like your meat cut up and packaged. They will contact you again to let you know when it is ready for pickup. Then you can grill some tender, tasty chops, steak, etc... for yourself & friends OR... deliver the packaged meat to a local food pantry or senior center of your choice.
WHAT IS 4-H?
4-H is the youth educational program of UNH Cooperative Extension. The mission of 4-H is to help youth acquire knowledge, develop life skills, and form attitudes to enable them to become self-directing, productive and contributing members of society. 4-H emphasizes the importance of involving youth in the learning process. It is offered free of charge to youth ages 5-18. Youth from all cultural and economic backgrounds get involved in 4-H fun and learning. Members and volunteers live in towns, cities, farms, and suburbs.