Teacher Requirements for Schoolyard SITES
Now accepting applications. We strongly encourage grade level teams within the same building to apply to this program. While this is not a requirement, we have seen successes when two or more teachers work with an Extension Volunteer to design a curriculum for their grade level.
Join Schoolyard SITES, a unique opportunity for you and your students to conduct a project-based science investigation with a UNH Cooperative Extension volunteer!
Schoolyard SITES (Schoolyard Science Investigations by Teachers, Extension Volunteers, and Students) is a UNH research study that investigates a new professional development model for elementary teachers (K-5th grade). With support from UNH Cooperative Extension volunteers, teachers develop science investigations that incorporate student learning goals aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), and involving established citizen science projects.
- Teach elementary school (K-5th grades)
- Have a minimum of three years experience as an elementary teacher
- Agree to the program requirements (e.g., attend all workshops; partner with Extension Science Volunteer for 1 school year; participate in research activities-brief surveys, interview, classroom visit; design & teach a locally-relevant, citizen science project)
- Provide a letter of support from the school principal
Teachers who participate in this research study will:
- Participate in summer and school-year professional development workshops led by UNH education and citizen science professionals
- Collaborate, throughout one school year, with a UNH Cooperative Extension science volunteer with expertise in environmental science-related topics and citizen science
- Design and teach a locally-relevant citizen science project in partnership with a science volunteer
- Take part in a research study to improve elementary science (surveys, interviews and sharing instructional materials)
- Receive stipend (proportional to program completion; max $2,500 per teacher), classroom materials (up to $200), & mileage reimbursement for travel to all workshops
2022-2023 Schoolyard SITES Workshop Dates (UNH Manchester)
Wednesday, July 13 (9:00am-4:00pm)
Tuesday, July 26 (9:00am-4:00pm)
Wednesday, July 27 (9:00am-4:00pm)
Thursday, July 28 (9:00am-4:00pm)
Friday, July 29 (9:00am-4:00pm)
Saturday, September 17 (9:00am-4:00pm)
Five Wednesdays (Nov. 9, Dec. 14, Feb. 8, March 8, April 12; after school ~3:30-6:00 pm)
Review of applications will begin on March 31st on a first come basis.
For more details email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your school district is interested in getting involved, contact Lara Gengarelly at Lara.Gengarelly@unh.edu.