Preparing logs for the market is one of the most important value-added processes on a logging operation. Attention is needed towards market specifications, accurate measurement and care in handling wood products. The following publications should assist with producing and measuring logs for the market.
- Major New Hampshire Species and Their Uses
- NH Best Log Scaling Practices Guide. A log scale, or rule, is an estimate of sawn lumber volume that can be obtained from a given log. Log scale is the basis for most business transactions between buyers and sellers of logs.
- Safe Timber Harvesting describes safe timber harvesting practices, emphasizing personal safety, and equipment maintenance.
- Spider Heart is a defect that occurs is trees and becomes visable when the tree is cut into logs. This fact sheet explains the cause of this bacterial defect and its associated problems.
- Tree and Stand Measurement guide provides instruction on how to measure individual trees and forest stands.