The CDC just released guidance for Managing Food Pick-Up and Delivery
It recommends social distancing techniques:
- Establish designated pick-up zones for customers to help maintain social distancing.
- Practice social distancing when delivering food, e.g., offering “no touch” deliveries and sending text alerts or calling when deliveries have arrived.
A mask is to prevent people who are shedding virus, but do not have symptoms, from infecting others.
If the delivery driver is alone, and uses social distancing techniques, it wouldn’t be necessary to wear a mask.
If the driver is with others in the delivery vehicle, or if the driver will be in contact with customers, then masks, enhanced hand hygiene and disinfecting of high touch surfaces in the delivery vehicle are recommended.
CDC recommendations (Scroll down to Social Distancing, Disinfecting & Other Precautions) If a worker chooses to use a cloth face covering to slow the spread of COVID-19:
- Maintain face coverings in accordance with parameters in FDA’s Model Food Code sections 4-801.11 and 4.802.11 (must be clean and laundered between uses)
- Launder reusable face coverings before each daily use.
- CDC also has additional information on the use of face coverings, including washing instructions and information on how to make homemade face covers.
NOTE: The cloth face coverings recommended by CDC are not surgical masks or N-95 respirators