Serving size: about 1 1/2 cups
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Gently rub peppers under cold running water. Scrub onions, celery and carrots under running water.
- Use a large skillet or saucepan (at least 4 quarts) with a tight-fitting lid. If using raw meat, brown the ground meat over medium heat, breaking apart with a spoon. Drain off any fat and discard.
Wash hands after touching raw meat.
- Chop vegetables.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the vegetables and cook 5-10 minutes.
- Add the water, rice, tomatoes, and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover pan and cook 10 minutes.
- Add drained beans to the pan. If using pre-cooked meat, add now. Continue to cook for 10-15 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is cooked off. Review guide for internal temperature directions.
Easy, Fun and Free Recipe Videos - Featuring ingredients commonly found in New Hampshire food pantries!
In just 2 minutes, UNH Extension's nutrition educators help you turn simple ingredients into delicious meals. Watch our YouTube video for making Tex-Mex Skillet.
Source: Adapted from Washington State University Extension