This recipe is a quick and easy meal to put together.
- 5 minutes
- 15 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup beans, cooked or canned and rinsed
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder or garlic powder
- 3 taco shells or flour tortillas
- 3 Tbsp. shredded cheese or sour cream
- Wash hands.
- Gently rub green pepper under cold running water. Scrub onion with a clean vegetable brush under running water.
- Chop onion and green pepper.
- Cook onion and green pepper in vegetable oil over medium heat until soft.
- Add cooked beans, salsa and chili powder or garlic powder, stir to combine.
- For tacos: fill taco shell with bean mixture; top with shredded cheese or sour cream and more salsa if you like.
- For burritos: in a warm flour tortilla, place filling on one side; top with shredded cheese or sour cream, roll up and serve with extra salsa.
Add rice and a salad for a Simple-Delicious-Meal.
Easy, Fun and Free Recipe Videos - Featuring ingredients commonly found in New Hampshire food pantries!
In just 2 minutes, UNH Extension's nutrition educators help you turn simple ingredients into delicious meals. Watch our YouTube video for making Bean Filling for Tacos or Burritos.
USDA Foods Fact Sheet - Recipe adapted from University and Connecticut Cooperative Extension and U.S. Dry Bean Council
Add shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes to tacos and other vegetables to burritos.
Cooked pinto beans work great in this recipe or try other bean varieties.