New Farmer School 2022
The nuts and bolts of farming as a business in New Hampshire
Get a jump-start on growing your agricultural business with this intensive multi-session course! Offering a wide variety of topics that will be applicable to any new farmer and sessions that build upon knowledge gained in previous sessions, this course is a great way to get up to speed quickly on the business and science of agriculture. Network with other new farmers, and work closely with Extension staff as you develop your business and production ideas.
Course topics include soils and site assessment, agricultural regulations, enterprise selection, infrastructure considerations, marketing, insurance basics, and financial and production record-keeping. Participants will also learn about state agencies and other agriculture service providers in New Hampshire.
The registration cost for this course is $250 per person or $450 for two people from the same farm.
To register for this course, head to the event webpage!
In 2022, this course is offered online with optional in-person sessions held at farms located in the North Country region of New Hampshire:
- August 3: Zoom Session, 6 to 7:30 pm, Introduction to the Course, Whole Farm Planning & Goal Setting
- August 17: In-person (Optional), August 17, 9 am to 3 pm, location Birch Rise Farm, Sanbornton, NH and Longview Farm in Plymouth, NH, Site and Soil Evaluation, Farm Infrastructure
- August 31: Zoom Session, 6 to 7:30 pm, Enterprise Budgeting & Cash Flow Budgets
- September 14: Zoom Session, 6 to 7:30 pm, Production Records & Scheduling
- September 28: In-person (optional), 9 am to 3 pm, location Otokahe Farm, Jefferson, NH and Slopeside Farm, Lancaster, NH, Farm Tools & Equipment, Season Extension
- October 12: Zoom Session, 6 to 7:30 pm, Meet Agriculture Service Providers
- October 26: Zoom Session, 6 to 7:30 pm, Farm Financial Management
- November 9: In-person (optional), 9 am to 3 pm, Meadowstone Farm Bethlehem, NH and Littleton Food Co-op, Littleton, NH, Marketing
Please note that class materials will be available to participants in lieu of the in-person session for those who cannot or do not wish to attend in-person sessions.
Contact your local UNH Extension Field Specialist:
- Technology needed for this course includes Internet access, the ability to participate in video conferencing sessions, word processing and spreadsheet software, and the ability to read pdf files. Please contact Kelly McAdam at firstname.lastname@example.org or (603) 527-5475 at least 10 business days prior to the first session if any technology accommodations are needed.
- A limited number of scholarships are available for those with financial need. Please contact Jonathan Ebba for more information.
- If special accommodations, including technology access, are needed to participate in the course, please contact Kelly McAdam at least 10 business days prior to the course start date.