- 3/4 cup rice
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 can pork, diced
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can tomatoes, diced, no salt added
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1 cup water
- Brown rice in butter, add chopped meat, onion, celery and green pepper. Stir and cook until brown.
- Add tomatoes, sugar, seasonings and water.
- Cover and cook for 45 minutes over low heat.
Number of Servings 6, Serving Size 1 cup, Calories 230, Total Fat 11 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 55 mg, Sodium 240 mg, Total Carbohydrates 20 g, Fiber 3 g, Total Sugars 8 g, Includes 1 g Added Sugars, Protein 16 g, Vitamin D 0 mcg, Calcium 15 mg, Iron 2 mg, Potassium 227 mg
Serve with a tossed salad.
Easy, Fun and Free Recipe Videos - Featuring ingredients commonly found in New Hampshire food pantries!
In just 2 minutes, UNH Extension's nutrition educators help you turn simple ingredients into delicious meals. Watch our YouTube video for making Spanish Rice.
In place of the chili powder and oregano you could use half a packet of no salt added Spanish seasoning.