Not sure how to use canned salmon? Try this easy recipe for salmon burgers. Serve on a bun with a side of crunchy veggie sticks.
- 5 minutes
- 15 minutes
Number of servings
- 1 12-oz. can of pink or red salmon
- 3 slices whole wheat bread or ½ cup corn meal
- ½ tsp. dried mustard (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 egg whites or 1 Tbsp. egg substitute
- 1 tsp. canola oil
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Flake the salmon, blending in the skin and the tiny soft bones.
- Put in a colander and rinse under cold water for 1 minute to remove some of the extra sodium.
- Tear bread into small pieces.
- Stir together salmon with bread, onion, lemon juice, mustard (if using), and egg whites until well blended.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. While it heats, form the salmon mixture into six patties.
- Cook patties in oil until golden brown on both sides.
Number of Servings 6, Serving Size 1 patty, Calories 130, Total Fat 3.5 g, Saturated Fat 0.5 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 45 mg, Sodium 300 mg, Total Carbohydrates 7 g, Fiber 0 g, Total Sugars 1 g, Includes 0 g Added Sugars, Protein 17 g, Vitamin D 8 mcg, Calcium 59 mg, Iron 1 mg, Potassium 251 mg
Serve each burger on a bun with lettuce and tomato slices. Serve with veggie sticks and a glass of nonfat milk for a complete meal.