Fruit juice brings sweetness and flavor to this easy beans and rice dish. This recipe is perfect for burritos or as a side dish for any meal.
- 10 minutes
- 20 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup orange juice or pineapple juice
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Cook the rice according to the directions on the rice's package.
- While rice is cooking, add oil to a skillet and sauté onion for two minutes.
- Add black beans, orange or pineapple juice, and allspice. Mash some beans with spoon for thicker consistency. Simmer over low heat until liquid is mostly absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Serve black beans over rice.
Number of Servings 4, Serving Size 1 cup, Calories 120, Total Fat 2.5 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 170 mg, Total Carbohydrates 20 g, Fiber 1 g, Total Sugars 1 g, Includes 0 g Added Sugars, Protein 4 g, Vitamin D 0 mcg, Calcium 24 mg, Iron 1 mg, Potassium 98 mg
Microwave a green vegetable to quickly round out this meal.
Roll leftovers in a flour tortilla for a quick burrito.
Save money on beans. Boil dried beans when you get them home from the grocery store. Pack 1 1/2 cups of rehydrated beans, about one can's worth, in plastic bags and put them in the freezer.