Trail Activities (definitions for primary and other trail activities, described below)
- Walking – easy trail with flat and even tread. Could take most strollers on. Best used for rail trails, separated paved paths. [All walking trails are also hiking trails]
- Hiking – requires sturdy footwear, users can expect a range of experiences from flat and smooth to rough natural surface and steep grades.
- Mountain Biking – mountain biking, dominantly single track, packed earth trails, and also including unpaved/paved multiuse pathways/rail trails.
- Bicycling – paved/well‐graded multiuse pathways/rail trails (family‐friendly) [All bicycling trails are also mountain biking trails]
- On‐road biking – on‐road cycling routes
- Snowshoeing – dedicated snowshoeing trails (not pedestrian trails that could be good for snowshoeing)
- Nordic Skiing – groomed Nordic ski trails (not pedestrian trails that are ski‐able)
- Backcountry Skiing – designated backcountry ski trails or pedestrian trails that are commonly used for cross‐country skiing but are not groomed
- Ice Skating – groomed ice skating trails
- Horseback Riding – equestrian trails
- Snowmobiling – trails that are used by snowmobiles
- ATV Riding – trails that are used by ATVs
- Light‐duty 4x4ing – trails that are used by 4‐wheeled, off road vehicles (e.g. Jeeps)
- Off‐highway motorcycling – “dirt bike” trails, distinct from ATV trails (though some ATV trails may also allow dirt bikes)
- Paddling – canoe and kayak experiences marketed as a water trail (or blueway) and defined by a point to point experience (not pedestrian trails that allow for hand‐carry boat access, and not water bodies with boat access that are simply good places to paddle)
Primary Trail Activity
These are trail activities that are described/recommended in the trail posting. Activities selected here in the CMS are the ones that cause a trail to be selected when users Find Trails by “Trail Activity.” Trail activities selected here should all be within the same trail‐use class (see Key to Map).
Other use trail activity
These are other trail activities that are allowed on sections of trail in the trail posting, but are not described in the posting and are not within the same trail‐use class (see Key to Map). These activities do not factor into user searches and only add icons at the bottom of the Quick Facts section of a trail posting. They allow users to know what other trail activities they might expect to share a trail system with.