- 10 minutes
- 10 minutes
- For Salad
- 1 pound pasta
- 2 cups assorted raw vegetables such as bell pepper, zucchini, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, celery, onion or cucumber
- 1 5-oz. can tuna, water packed, drained
- 2 cups cooked beans, or 1 drained and rinsed can, any type
- 1/2 cup black or green olives, drained (optional)
- For Dressing
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt or sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. mustard
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice or vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. herbs, dill, oregano, basil or a combination of all
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Cook pasta in boiling water, according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold running water. Drain very well.
- While pasta is cooking wash vegetables by gently rubbing under cold running water. Scrub firm produce with a clean vegetable brush under running water.
- Chop vegetables.
- In a large bowl, gently mix together prepared raw vegetables and half of the cooked, drained pasta.
- Add the rest of the pasta, beans, tuna, and optional olives. Stir gently.
- In a small bowl mix all of the dressing ingredients together. Pour over salad and stir gently to blend well.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce leaves, with fresh tomatoes or other vegetables in season.
Number of Servings 12, Serving Size 1 1/4 cups, Calories 250, Total Fat 5 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 10 mg, Sodium 180 mg, Total Carbohydrates 40 g, Fiber 1 g, Total Sugars 4 g, Includes 0 g Added Sugars, Protein 11 g, Vitamin D 1 mcg, Calcium 36 mg, Iron 2 mg, Potassium 99 mg
- Use low-fat mayonnaise style salad dressing instead of making the dressing here.Use whichever vegetables are in season and inexpensive.For more protein, add sliced hard cooked eggs, 1/2 cup Swiss cheese or leftover cooked chicken.