Plantains may look a lot like bananas, but they are not! Plantains are delicious fried or baked and served as a fun side dish instead of french fries. This recipe is kid friendly and perfect for your next family dinner.
- 5 minutes
- 10 minutes
- 2 ripe but firm plantains
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Wash hands with soap and water before preparing food.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- While the oil is heating peel and slice the plantains. See tips for peeling instructions. Slice plantains into 1/4-inch rounds.
- Add plantains to the pan and cook, turning occasionally, for 4 mintues or until tender and golden brown.
- Tansfer to paper towel lined plate to drain and sprinkle with salt. Serve at once with avocado cream dip.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Wash hands before preparing food.
- Peel and slice the plantains. See tips for peeling instructions. Slice plantains into 1/4-inch rounds.
- Place on a sheet pan. Drizzle with oil.
- Bake until brown, about 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve at once with avocado cream dip.
Avocado Cream Dip
Ingredients:1 or 2 ripe avocados1 garlic clove, minceda dash of salt1/4 tsp. ground black pepper1 Tbsp. lime juice1 Tbsp. cilantro, fresh or dried1/4 tsp. chili powder1/4 cup plain greek style yogurt
- Put all ingredients in blender or mash by hand until creamy.
Number of Servings 4, Serving Size 1/2 cup, Calories 170, Total Fat 7 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 150 mg, Total Carbohydrates 29 g, Fiber 2 g, Total Sugars 13 g, Includes 0 g Added Sugars, Protein 1 g, Vitamin D 0 mcg, Calcium 3 mg, Iron 1 mg, Potassium 447 mg
Plantains go well with any rice or meat dish.
Select plantains yellow in color, without green tips. The plantain should be firm but soft to the touch. Green plantains will ripen at home over time, provided they are not refrigerated. Avoid any black plantains that are still hard.
To peel plantains, use a sharp knife and slice off the top and tail. Make 3 or 4 lengthwise slits in skin without cutting the flesh. Peel back and remove skin.