- 5 minutes
- 30 minutes
- 4 cups fruit, like blueberries, pears, apples, peaches (frozen, canned or fresh)
- 2 Tbsp. white or whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 stick softened margarine or butter
- 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp. nutmeg
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Grease an 8 x 8 x 2 inch pan.
- If using canned fruit, drain juices and rinse. If using frozen fruit, thaw and drain.
- Scrub firm produce like apples and pears with a clean vegetable brush under running water.
- Gently rub tender produce, like peaches, under running water. Rinse fresh berries under running water.
- Slice fruit, if needed, and put in the pan.
- Add 2 Tbsp. flour to fruit and stir in. Spread fruit evenly in pan.
- In a bowl, mix remaining ingredients together with a fork or hands until crumbly. Sprinkle over fruit evenly.
- Bake 30-40 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and fruit is tender when pierced with a fork.
Canned fruit in juice and unsweetened frozen fruit are just as healthy as fresh and sometimes less expensive.
Plan to make a fruit crisp on a night when the oven is already on.
Buy fruit in season for peak quality and best prices.
This fruit crisp recipe is a delicious way to use up fruit you have on hand.