Financial Assistance for Woodlot Owners

A good first stop to learn about financial assistance is to contact your local UNH Cooperative Extension county forester to learn what programs might fit your land and your interests. Contact our Forestry Information Center to locate your county forester or visit.

The Farm Bill offers a mix of financial and technical assistance and education to help landowners care for their land. The N.H. Division of Forests and Lands, UNH Cooperative Extension, N.H .Fish and Game Dept., and the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) work together to bring these programs to you. A brief description follows:

Natural Resources Conservation ServiceEnvironmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) website
EQIP provides technical and financial assistance to improve and conserve water quality, soil erosion, riparian and aquatic areas, air quality and wildlife habitat. These programs apply to private lands, including cropland, rangeland, pasture land, private nonindustrial forestland, and other farm lands. In order to qualify for EQIP, a landowner must have a Conservation Activity Plan available through EQIP. Contracts generally range from 1 to10 years. For more information contact your local NRCS conservationist or UNH Cooperative Extension county forester.

N.H. Dept. of Fish and GameSmall Grants Program
This state program restores, maintains, and enhances wildlife habitat. It applies to properties larger than 25 acres, owned by an individual, organization or local government. Funding is limited to $4,000 per property per year and no more than $10,000 will be granted to a single landowner over a 10-year period. Because it is funded by a fee required of all who purchase a New Hampshire hunting license, the land needs to remain open for non-motorized public use, including hunting. For more information, contact your regional N.H. Fish and Game Depart. office.

Disaster Assistance Available from the Farm Service Agency
The Farm Service Agency reminds crop and livestock producers and owners of nonindustrial private forest land that programs are available to assist with disaster-related recovery from a storm, flooding, wind, or other natural disaster. Find out more.


Extension State Specialist, Forest Resources
Full State Specialist/Professor, Natural Resources
Phone: (603) 862-4861
Office: UNH Cooperative Extension, Taylor Hall, Durham, NH 03824