The Youth Leadership Team (YLT) is a 4-H Club for teenagers. It targets growth in several ways. At the beginning of the 4-H year, we focus primarily on team building activities and group cohesion. In the middle of the year, we explore personal interests and strengths through the lens of professional skills, career discernment, and life after 4-H. The end of the year we focus on leadership skill development and community impact.
The YLT Club Advisors tweak the program every year based on feedback from the teen members. Every YLT year improves based on collaboration with its youth members. It is their Club, and their Advisors facilitate it. So, if they were part of the YLT in a previous year, they can expect the best combination of familiarity and novelty this year.
Teenagers in this Club will THRIVE
- Translate their ideas into action
- Harness their interests & strengths
- Refine a stronger sense of self & belonging
- Impact their community
- Venture into new ways of thinking & problem solving
- Explore ways to grow after 4-H
This Club is perfect for the teenagers in your family. Getting involved in something new can be intimidating for a teenager if they do not know anyone. The course of the YLT meetings is designed to bridge, sustain, and strengthen new relationships. Of course, we always encourage your teens to bring their friends.
Are you a 4-H Club Leader or Volunteer seeing that the teens in your Club need something extra to keep them engaged? Encourage them to join the YLT too! This 4-H Club will target their development exactly where they are “at” in such a fun and engaging way that they won’t even realize they are “working.”
The YLT meets on the second Tuesday of every month October through June (note the one exception in February). Meeting times are from 6pm to 8pm.
Meeting Schedule for 2022-2023
- October 11th – Axe throwing, Archery, and Ice Cream. Location: Chester Rod & Gun Club
- November 8th – Team Building Challenges & Activities Part 1. Location: Brentwood Extension Office
- December 13th - Team Building Challenges & Activities Part 2. Location: Brentwood Extension Office
- January 10th – “Campfire Skits” (small groups will plan and perform a short skit). Location: TBD
- February 7th – Introductory Workshop: How to view interests and strengths and use them to approach the many different career avenues after 4-H and High School. Location: Brentwood Extension Office
- March 14th – Ages 15 and up: Workshop on creating Resumes and Cover Letters, etc. Ages 14 and under: 4-H program open house: How to maximize your time in 4-H. Location: Brentwood Extension Office
- April 11th – Community Improvement Projects Part 1. Location: Brentwood Extension Office
- May 9th – Leadership Workshop & Community Improvement Projects Part 2. Location: Brentwood Extension Office
- June 13th – End of the Year Party. Location: Stratham Hill Park