Apply Now for 2019 National Ag Day Student Training in Washington, D.C. (March 17 – 19, 2019)
National 4-H Council is pleased to offer an agriculture leadership opportunity for 10 college students to represent 4-H in the 2019 National Ag Day events in Washington, D.C. this spring. Students will participate in a training at the National 4-H Conference Center from Sunday, March 17 – Tuesday, March 19, 2019.
The Agriculture Council of America (ACA) sponsors a total of 100 student representatives from across the country to participate in the training and attend the National Ag Day activities on Capitol Hill. The students—from FFA, AFA, 4-H and Student NAMA—put a face on the future of agriculture and personally emphasize the importance of agriculture in our everyday lives.
NEW THIS YEAR! Thanks to support from Bayer, the 10 4-H representatives will receive an additional day of programming focused on the topics such as ag policy, trade regulation and an embassy visit. The Bayer sponsorship will cover the 4-H representatives’ travel expenses as well as an additional (Sunday) night of lodging. The remaining onsite expenses of rooms, meals and ground transportation will be covered through the ACA sponsorship.
4-H representatives should...
- Be over 18 and enrolled in college
- Be 4-H alum or currently active in collegiate 4-H
- Have a strong interest and/or career plan in the agricultural industry
- Have the desire to learn about communication and leadership skills
This training is planned for March 17-19 with the following tentative agenda:
- March 17
- Dinner at the National 4-H Conference Center (arrive by 3:00 p.m.)
- Roundtables & Networking with Bayer Government Relations & Leadership
- March 18
- Full day of leadership and advocacy training around agricultural issues at the National 4-H Conference Center
- March 19
- National Ag Day Congressional visits on Capitol Hill
To be considered as a 4-H representative for the National Ag Day Training, submit the following to Mary Davis at the NH State 4-H Office via email, Mary.Davis@unh.edu, by noon Monday, December 3, 2018.
- Name, age, current school information (class status, graduation date, major) and contact information (email, mailing address, phone number)
- A letter of reference from a 4-H professional
- A 500-word essay explaining “Why I want to participate in National Ag Day.”