Bring a Mediterranean taste to the table with this quick, delicious and easy to make recipe. As it bakes cut up some whole grain pita bread and toss a green salad for a nice-looking meal.
- 5 minutes
- 65 minutes
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper, optional
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, optional
- 1 15-oz. can tomatoes, whole, crushed or diced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash your hands with soap and water.
- Scrub onion and carrot with a clean vegetable brush under running water. Wash the tops of cans before opening.
- Combine lentils, water, seasonings, onion and tomatoes. Place in a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Cover tightly with a lid or foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and add carrots. Stir. Cover and bake 30 minutes longer.
- Remove cover and sprinkle cheese on top, bake uncovered 5 minutes, until cheese melts.
Serve with a tossed salad and a slice of whole wheat bread or whole wheat pita bread.
Baked lentils, vegetables, and cheese make a complete vegetarian dinner in one dish.