- 10 minutes
- 1 minute
- 1 burrito
- Whole wheat flour tortillas - 6 inch
- Corn tortillas - 6 inch
- Fillings 1/2 cup of:
- Canned or homemade beans, drained or refried beans
- Canned or leftover cooked chicken, cut in bite-sized pieces
- Canned or leftover cooked beef, cut in bite sized pieces
- Toppings 2-4 Tablespoons each:
- Shredded lettuce
- Homemade or canned salsa
- Gaucamole or avocado slices
- Red or green bell pepper, chopped
- Onion, chopped
- Shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Non-fat plain yogurt or low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 tsp. Southwest Seasoning Mix (make your own, ingredient list and directions below Nutrition Facts Label)
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Wash hands with soap and water. Chop pepper and onion on a clean cutting board.
- For one burrito, heat a tortilla on a large ungreased skillet until hot and soft, but not dry, about 30 seconds. Or heat tortilla in the microwave for 10 seconds.
- In another skillet mix choice of seasoning mix into beans, refried beans, beef, or chicken and heat through to 160° F.
- Put 1/2 cup of filling on heated tortilla, a little below the center, and add your favorite toppings.
- Fold sides of tortilla over filling so they meet in the center. Fold up bottom flap over filling and roll up, enclosing filling completely.
- Serve immediately or burrito will be soggy.
Nutrition Facts Label: calculated with whole wheat tortilla, 1/4 cup dark chicken, lettuce, onion, peppers, 2 Tbsp. salsa, 1 Tbsp. cheddar cheese.
Number of Servings 1, Serving Size 1 burrito, Calories 210, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 2.5 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 50 mg, Sodium 330 mg, Total Carbohydrates 24 g, Fiber 0 g, Total Sugars 5 g, Includes 0 g Added Sugars, Protein 14 g, Vitamin D 0 mcg, Calcium 158 mg, Iron 1 mg, Potassium 198 mg
Southwest Seasoning Mix1/4 cup chili powder1/4 cup onion powder2 Tbsp. oregano2 Tbsp. basil1 Tbsp. cumin1/2 Tbsp. garlic powder2 tsp. thyme
- Mix ingredients together. Transfer to a small jar or zip-top baggie.
- Mixture can be stored in the freezer for several months.