Rice pilaf is a great way to liven up rice when you want a little extra flavor. This healthy recipe can be put together in a pinch and costs less than boxed rice pilaf. This recipe can also be cooked in a slow cooker.
- 5 minutes
- 15 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add rice and mix to coat rice with oil.
- Add chicken broth, parsley, garlic powder and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, turn heat to low, cover pan and let cook for 30-45 minutes or until liquid is gone. If using instant brown rice follow cooking time on package.
- Once liquid is gone, stir rice and serve hot.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Combine ingredients in slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4 hours.
Save time by using 3/4 cup frozen chopped onion instead of fresh.
Give yourself and those you love the goodness of whole grains. Make at least half of the grains you eat whole grains - such as bread, tortillas, pasta and cereals. Whole grains are good for your heart and digestion and can help you maintain a healthy weight and good overall health.