MyPlate illustrates the five food groups that are building blocks for a healthy plate using a familiar image- a place setting for a meal. It is a reminder to find your healthy eating style and build it throughout your lifetime. Everything you eat and drink matters. The right mix can help you be healthier now and in the future. This means:
- Focus on variety, amount, and nutrition.
- Choose foods and beverages with less saturated fat, sodium, and added sugars.
- Start with small changes to build healthier eating styles.
- Support healthy eating for everyone.
For more information go to the MyPlate website found here. By clicking on each image on the plate, you will learn about each food group.
In addition there are several MyPlate Tip Sheets and infographics that may be used in the classroom or sent home to parents. Find them here.
The CDC has information on food allergies and schools as well as several resources for schools to use. Find these valuable resources here.
Free or low cost Webinars
Texas A and M AgriLife Extension has a variety of topics related to Food and Nutrition. Opening an account will allow you to enroll in the courses. There is a minimal charge . Examples include:
- Ten Behaviors that Promote a Healthy Weight
- Food Safety in the Classroom
- Food Allergies and How to Manage Them
- Feeding Young Children with Special Needs
- Handling and Storing Breast Milk
- More Outside Play Please
- Age Appropriate Nutrition, Feeding and Support for Breastfeeding