This chili recipe is a quick and easy meal that can be ready in minutes. The carrots add a sweet flavor and hearty texture that even kids will love. Add a dollop of plain Greek yogurt, top with cheese and dip tortilla chips for a fun, festive way to eat c
Serving size: 1 1/4 cups
Prep and cook time: 20 minutes
1 cup onion, chopped, about 1 large onion
1 large bell pepper, chopped
2 carrots, chopped or shredded
1-14.5 oz. can no salt added diced tomatoes
1 cup low sodium tomato sauce
2-15 oz. cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Wash hands with soap and water before preparing food, and wash all produce with cold running water.
- Chop the onion, pepper and carrots.
- Heat a large pot and cook onions, pepper and carrots until tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, oregano and garlic powder. Bring to a boil, turn down heat and simmer until all vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Put all indredients in the slow cooker on high for 1-3 hours or on low for 2-4 hours. Don't cook dry kidney beans or red beans in the slow cooker.
Try canned kidney beans, black beans or red beans in any combination.
Meat option: add lean cooked meat, such as chicken or ground meat (drain fat from meat).
Serve over rice, baked potato or pasta.
Roll leftovers in a flour tortilla with brown rice for a quick burrito.
Spread tortilla chips onto baking sheet, top with chili and sprinkle shredded cheese. Bake at 400º F for 15 minutes for chili nachos.
Copyright www.foodandhealth.com Reprinted and revised with permission.