The online silviculture institute offers landowners, foresters, and loggers a great opportunity to dig into silviculture. Originally designed as a field training—five 2-day sessions were offered in 2017 and four in 2018—the whole 10 days of training is online and is available at www.northeastsilvicultureinstitute.org.
Karen Bennett, UNH Cooperative Extension Forester, and Tony D'Amato, University of Vermont forestry professor, codirected the institute with administrative support from Charlie Levesque of North East State Foresters Association (NEFA). Major funding was supplied by the U.S. Forest Service, State and Private Forestry.
If you’ve always wanted to learn more about silviculture to enhance your work, now is the time. In the comfort of your home or office, you can attend one or all five of the 2-day Institute training sessions. Thanks to all the speakers and attendees in 2017 for allowing everything—including every field trip stops—to be filmed.
You get everything people who attended the "live" sessions received—itineraries, speaker bios, important readings, PowerPoint presentations, background information, and training exercises. Every lecture and every field stop was captured on film and edited into manageable pieces—a lecture or field stop. You can go through the training at your pace.
The five silviculture institute workshops have Society of American Forester credits assigned
- New England & Northern New York Overview: 16.0 SAF CFEs in category 1
- Spruce-fir Forest Type: 15.5 SAF CFEs in category 1
- Pine, Oak and Hemlock Forest Type: 13.5 CFEs in category 1
- Northern Hardwood Forest Type: 13.5 SAF CFEs category 1
- Mixed Oak Hickory Forest Type: 13.0 SAF CFEs category 1
Each of the forest type workshops include:
- Silvics of individual species & stand dynamics including land use history
- Silvicultural systems and practices including growth, yield, quality and regeneration
- Economics, utilization & markets
- Forest health
- Wildlife considerations specific to forest type
- Site quality and productivity
- Sample prescriptions & work assignment
- Legal, landowner objectives & carbon considerations
- A full-day field-trip into forest type
The Northeast Silviculture Institute Online version is available at www.northeastsilvicultureinstitute.org.
Major funding was provided to the Northeast State Foresters Association from the U.S. Forest Service. Additional support was provided by LandVest Timberlands, N.H. Sustainable Forestry Initiative, Granite State Woodland Insitute, Maine, New Hampshire and New England Society of American Foresters, Northeast Loggers Association and the Vermont Woodlands Association.