Introduction to Forestry Laws
New Hampshire has laws and regulations designed to encourage responsible timber harvesting and minimize environmental impacts of logging. Landowners, loggers, and foresters have the responsibility to know and understand New Hampshire’s timber harvesting laws. In addition, municipal officials have the authority and responsibility to work with state agencies to ensure that these laws are consistently enforced.
This publication is intended to assist municipal officials, landowners, and natural resource professionals working in New Hampshire’s forests.
This guide presents the following information:
- Why and how town officials are to be notiﬁed of timber harvesting
- State laws regarding timber tax assessment
- State laws that protect wetlands and water resources during timber harvesting
- State laws that regulate timber harvesting operations
- Local official’s role in enforcing state laws
- State agencies responsible for enforcing these laws and who to contact for enforcement assistance.