Hiring a Farm Employee in New Hampshire: Tax and Paperwork Checklist

closeup of tax paperwork

Hiring a farm employee is an exciting moment. It means the farm is getting large enough and stable enough to take on additional help. On the downside, the paperwork requirements of hiring feel much less exciting. UNH Cooperative Extension teamed up with Farm Commons to create a resource for NH agricultural producers. This checklist will help producers understand the basic paperwork process for hiring a farm employee.

Moving through the checklist can lead to more questions than answers. Knowing the right questions to ask is half the battle. Calling the relevant agency such as the New Hampshire Department of Labor, New Hampshire Department of Employment Security, Internal Revenue Service, or United States Department of Labor is an excellent next step when complications arise. Agency employees are trained experts and able to answer most questions. 

View or download the complete document.