Baked Lentils Casserole
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 65 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash your hands with soap and water.
- Scrub onion and carrot with a clean vegetable brush under running water. Wash the tops of cans before opening.
- Combine lentils, water, seasonings, onion and tomatoes. Place in a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Cover tightly with a lid or foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and add carrots. Stir. Cover and bake 30 minutes longer.
- Remove cover and sprinkle cheese on top, bake uncovered 5 minutes, until cheese melts.
Serve with a tossed salad and a slice of whole wheat bread or whole wheat pita bread.
Baked lentils, vegetables, and cheese make a complete vegetarian dinner in one dish.
Easy, Fun and Free Recipe Videos - Featuring ingredients commonly found in New Hampshire food pantries!
In just 2 minutes, UNH Extension's nutrition educators help you turn simple ingredients into delicious meals. Watch our YouTube video for making Baked Lentils Casserole.
Sources: USDA What's Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl - University of Wisconsin, Cooperative Extension Service, Let's Make Meatless Meals