Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
This recipe is a great way to save money by making a theme meal at home, make it a Mexican fiesta meal.
Serving size: 2 fajitas each
Prep time: 15 mintues
Cook time: 6-7 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high
1 lb. boneless chicken breast or thigh
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 red pepper, sliced into strips
1 green pepper, sliced into strips
3/4 cup salsa
1 Tbsp. taco seasoning
8 6-inch corn tortillas
- Start by washing your hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds before and after handling food.
- Place whole chicken breasts or thighs in slow cooker. There is no need to rinse the chicken prior to placing in the slow cooker. Be sure to wash your hands after handling the chicken.
- Remove the outer skin from the onion. Scrub the peppers and onions with a vegetable brush under running water and dry with a paper towel then slice peppers into strips and thinly slice the onion. Place the pepper and onion mixture on top of the chicken.
- Mix salsa and taco seasoning mix in a medium bowl. Pour over chicken. Place lid on slow cooker.
- Cook on LOW for 6 to 7 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours until chicken is done. Prior to serving, insert a food thermometer into the center of a chicken breast or thigh. The final cooking temperature of the chicken should reach at least 165° F.
- Carefully remove lid to allow steam to escape. Gently stir chicken and sauce with a plastic or wooden slotted spoon. Spoon 1/2 cup of chicken mixture into center of each tortilla; add desired toppings and fold torilla over filling. Enjoy!
Shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes, shredded lettuce, guacomole, sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.